DO the math, DON'T overpay. We make high quality, low-cost math resources a reality.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Problem of the Week

Yes, this PoW post is a day late; we apologize. We were unexpectedly out of the office yesterday due to Winter Storm Linus (our second huge snowstorm within a week). To make it up to you, we have an interesting problem that intern Zach found here on reddit, which we wrote out to post on our Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ pages.

Click to enlargen!
See Tori's solution by clicking through the jump...


As in previous weeks, I've written up my answer and attached the picture below. The main answer is inside the red box, but you can see a bit of my scratchwork on the outside. There were, of course, several ways to solve each section of the problem. It's not particularly difficult, but I definitely enjoyed this brain teaser.

Click to enlargen!


Did you solve this problem another way? Do you have any questions about my solution? Please leave a comment!
-Tori

1 comment:

  1. I solved a few slightly differently:

    (3 x 3) - 3 = 6
    4 + 4 - sqrt(4) = 6
    (9 / sqrt(9)) + sqrt(9) = 6

    The solution for 8 took me the longest, I got caught up for some reason on figuring out to square root twice.

    ReplyDelete